Friday 7 October 2016

Xanthelasma - The Beginning

Hello

I would assume if you are reading this you are either dealing with xanthelasma or know someone who is.  Because I appreciate all those before me who took the time to document their experience I thought I should do the same.

A few months ago I noticed wrinkly looking yellow deposits growing under my eyes.
It initially started as a series of raised bumps that eventually grew larger and joined together forming an unsightly raised mass.

When I asked a plastic surgeon if the wrinkles were sun damage he informed me that no, it was xanthelasma and could be removed surgically.
Although he was relatively certain I inherited this problem from my Dad he also suggested I have my blood work checked for high cholesterol, just in case.

As soon as I got home I began to research xanthelasma and started to panic.  Not only was I concerned about the possibility of having high cholesterol but was also concerned about removal and scarring and the possibility of recurrence after the removal.

After some research and another consult with my doctor we decided the best course of action would be to excise the xanthelasma.  At this point laser did not seem to be the best choice as the growth was quite deep and he felt scarring would be minimal and easily concealed within my natural lines.
I asked to be scheduled asap for my surgical procedure.

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint exactly when the xanthelasma surfaced.  I'm 45 years old and thought these wrinkles were just another lovely part of ageing!  Looking back I think it may have started a year or so ago.

This photo was taken the week before the procedure.
I apologise for the poor quality but I guess it's better than nothing.









1 comment:

  1. Who did your surgery? The results look great. Did you xanthelasma return? I hear it has a high rate of recurrence :(.

    ReplyDelete